List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: To -avoid-version or not?
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-10-14 15:58:27

On Thursday 14 October 2004 17:50, Gary Cramblitt wrote:
> On Thursday 14 October 2004 10:11 am, David Faure wrote:
> > Libraries should have a version, (dlopened) modules shouldn't.
> > I think the "libraries" you saw without version, where not normal shared
> > libraries, but dlopened modules (installed into lib/kde3).
>
> OK, thank you.  Could you explain reason/rationale for this (just want to
> understand).

Versioning is needed for shared libs - for the obvious usual reasons (bin. incompat changes etc.)

Modules are not versioned since they are dlopened, i.e. found by the name of the .la. They
are pretty much like binaries - you don't install two versions of "ls" in the same prefix.
And the installation dir itself (lib/kde3) is already versioned to make it possible to install
a kde3 kparts in parallel with a kde4 kparts.