List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Naming conventions?
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2004-10-13 13:49:29

On October 13, 2004 10:22 am, Jan de Visser wrote:
> On October 12, 2004 10:10 pm, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> > i really hate indentation conversations, but i feel the need to point out
> > the obvious. because, well, for no particular reason ;-)
>
> I think we all do, especially since the final word about them has been
> written a long time ago:
>
> http://www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html

The final word? I totally disagree with it. The arguments in it are also quite
dated. Any and all modern editors, including console based ones, let you set
the width of the tab character to anything you want. So, assuming a standard
word wrap wdth is followed, all the points he raises are meaningless. There
is no reason why one should be setting the tab character to insert spaces. If
everyone used tabs to indent everything, then everyone could have their code
appear *exactly* as they want it to on their screen, *and only their screen*.
Space indentation is forcing others to view the code indented the way you
want it indented. Tab indentation allows everyone to see things the way they
feel comfortable, and allows them to adjust indentation to fit their screen
width and font size.

All the reasons for using spaces to indent are obsolete by about 10 years. And
if you are actually doing KDE development with vi on a teletype terminal from
1980  without the ability to set the tab width, then hats off to you :P

--
There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We do not believe this to be a coincidence.  ~Jeremy S. Anderson