List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Free Intel C++ compiler
From:       Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde () carewolf ! com>
Date:       2004-09-30 10:18:46

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 16:36, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > The 7.0 version was good. Unfortunatly the 8.x series discriminates
> > unfairly against AMD processors, and is therefore completly unsuitable
> > for free software development.
>
> If you have an Intel CPU, then what's the problem ?

As a developer you are indirectly supporting the compiler you use.

Personally I ported KDE and libtool to the Intel compiler back when it was
6.0.( You might only have discovered it now, but the compiler has had a free
version for more than 3 years now.)
Today it doesnt take much work to make KDE compile because icc 8.0 supports
most gcc-extensions, a new problem though, is that it spoofs itselfs as gcc.

The real problem is as a free software developer I do profiling and
optimization and stability tests, and when doing that, I create faster and
more stable code for compiler I use. I didn't mind doing that for the intel
compiler when it was good compiler, and tried to be a good compiler, but now
that it is delibrately crippled compiler, I feel burned and will stay the
hell away from it.

I fully understand _why_ Intel is doing it, but I dont care.. I am consumer
and by doing what they do, they make a product that I can only despise. As a
free software developer, it is product I can only recommend other developers
to stay far away from as well.

`Allan