List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Free Intel C++ compiler
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2004-09-29 21:00:04

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 19:15, Fergus Morrow wrote:

> > Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > > The 7.0 version was good. Unfortunatly the 8.x series discriminates
> > > unfairly against AMD processors, and is therefore completly unsuitable
> > > for free software development.
>
> I wouldnt think they where allowed to do that, this means there just
> going to lose users (like your self)

Er, you don't think Intel is going to make the job easier for its main
competitor, do you ? Their C++ compiler is basically a marketing tool to help
sell Pentiums, nothing more.

> > If you have an Intel CPU, then what's the problem ?
>
> None but he obviously doesnt have a intel processor, and seeing as
> linux is compatable with AMD 64 before MS then we need to keep
> comapatability with AMD. I am going to try it though.

When was the last time you were confronted to a Intel vs. AMD compatibility
problem during C++ development ? The only possible way this can happen is if
you need to write directly in assembly, like in some multimedia-oriented app
for instance. Otherwise what's the problem ?

> I still think G++ 0\/\/|\|s the hell out of all the others.

It offers very good compliance with the standard but it's still slow as hell.

--
						Guillaume.
						http://www.telegraph-road.org