List:       kde-devel
Subject:    configure.in.in + arts includes
From:       Joris Guisson <joris.guisson () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-09-23 9:04:45

Hi,

The aRts includes are located in $KDEDIR/include/arts . One of the
files (kaudiomanagerplay.h) in that directory includes another file
from the same directory (#include <artsflow.h>). This creates a
problem when you include kaudiomanagerplay.h in your code, the
compiler can't find the artsflow.h .

The solution to this problem is to add -I$KDEDIR/include/arts to your
compiler flags. I do this in my configure.in.in script, relying on the
$KDEDIR environment variable.

I have gotten a bug report from somebody who can't compile my program
(which you can find on kmusicmanager.sf.net) ,  because his compiler
can't find the include file artsflow.h. Now this is most likely
because he hasn't got this environment variable set. (he or she is
running debian unstable)

What I want to know is, is there a better way to find the kde include
directory in the configure.in.in script ? This is the code I use now :
(the code is taken from another KDE project, I modified it somewhat)

KDE_CHECK_HEADER(arts/artsmodules.h, have_kdemm=yes, have_kdemm=no)

AM_CONDITIONAL(with_arts, [test x$have_kdemm = xyes -a x$build_arts = xyes])

if test x$build_arts = xyes -a x$have_kdemm = xyes; then
    AC_DEFINE(HAVE_ARTS, 1, [have aRts and kdemultimedia])
    arts_libs="-lqtmcop -lkmedia2_idl -lartsflow -lsoundserver_idl
-lartskde -lartsgui -lartsgui_kde -lartsmodules"
    arts_includes="-I$KDEDIR/include/arts"
fi

AC_SUBST(arts_libs)
AC_SUBST(arts_includes)

A better solution would be to change #include <artsflow.h> to #include
"artsflow.h" in kaudiomanagerplay.h, but if such a fix gets made, I
would still have to do the above for users not using the latest
release of KDE.

Anybody got any ideas ?