List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Implmenting DCOP
From:       "Ian Reinhart Geiser" <geiseri () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-09-20 1:32:49

Richard Lärkäng said:
> On Sunday 19 September 2004 20.28, PiggZ wrote:
>> next question, a call to dcop returns kppp-PID,
[...]
> I don't thinks it's possible to listen for a dcop-signal in a shell
> script,
> but I could be wrong. OTOH, if you program in something like
> perl/python/ruby
> there's bindings for DCOP in the kdebindings module, from which you can do
> really cool stuff.
its possible with some hacks i did a few years ago, but its not so pretty.
 Bsicly i wrote a small C++ app that just connected to the slots and
returned to stdout the results.

the javascript, python and afaik ruby bindings both support dcop signals
and slots.  shell is funny when it comes to slots, since they are
asynchronous by nature and a shell script is not.

cheers
   -ian reinhart geiser
+-Ian Reinhart Geiser geiseri@sourcextreme.com
+-Vice President of Engineering
+-http://www.sourcextreme.com
+-It's not that we don't make mistakes, we just don't keep them around.