List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: fullscreen vs alt+click/alt+drag
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2004-09-16 9:42:54

On Thursday 16 of September 2004 02:06, P. George wrote:
> i'm porting a fullscreen, kiosk-like app from the mac to linux/x86.
>
> everything's hunky-dory so far, except that there is a critical feature
> of the app, which must remain unchanged:
>
> i need the user to be able to alt+leftclick my app's interface (ie: the
> main, fullscreen window) to gain access to certain features, but when i
> do this on linux (in _almost_ every window manager), of course the
> window (even though it's fullscreen), is able to be moved around.  i
> realize this is standard fare for linux gui apps, but not for kiosk
> apps or games.
>
> i tried looking through some source for a couple games, but i'm not
> seeing anything unusual that might take care of this problem, even
> though the games themselves definitely do not allow alt+dragging of the
> game window.

 You certainly cannot move a fullscreen window in KDE, assuming it really is a
fullscreen window that properly told the window manager about it using
_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN (or at least it has the Motif noborder hint and has
screen geometry). Just do Ctrl+Alt+F in e.g. Konqueror and try moving. It may
possibly happen with other GUIs though.

 But if your window is supposed to be the one and only window taking control
of the screen area, you should simply use override-redirect window. Alt+mouse
moving is handled by the window manager, but override-redirect windows are
handled only by the application.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer