List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Invisible Kicker (Was Re: http://asia.cnet.com/news/software/0,
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-08-29 20:06:16

On Saturday 28 August 2004 00:31, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> > remove panel.desktop from KDEPREFIX/share/autostart
>
> okay, examining that file shows that it runs kicker.
>
> if i stop kicker, it stops the ability to run "dcop kicker kicker
> popupKMenu 0" and have it work.

Obviously as long as no other program registeres as DCOP client "kicker"

Fortunately this is possible, for DCOP "kicker" is just a name, not bound to
the name of the program.

> i want to have the _option_ to provide an alternative to the kicker
> panel system.

Not sure but I think panels are some kind of Kicker plugins, so it could be
possible to have your own.
See Kasbar
http://xmelegance.org/kasbar/

> and, with kicker providing the total domination and exclusive access
> point of the "menu" system to applications, AND also having no way to
> disable "panels" fully (that i can find), _that's_ what i mean by bad
> design.

Well, a panel without visible parts would be ridiculous.
Your design, to rely on the program you actually want to replace, is bad
design.

> you get everything - or you get nothing.
>
> there is no choice.

There is the choice to do it properly, i.e. registering a DCOP client "kicker"
with interface "kicker"

> superkaramba is EXCELLENT.  i am writing systray themes, running-program
> bar themes, rolling-bar themes, sub-menuing themes, and i'm considering
> doing a "tabbed" theme that will activate a rolling-bar sub-menu theme,
> because a "tabbed" theme will provide maximum useable screen space.

Why not implement the menu as well?

> to have applications be chooseable if you double-click on a document
> or right-click on a document to select the application/mime-type, i have
> to have this program called "kicker" which has a user interface that is

No, this is handled by the KRun API. Any KDE application can easily use this.

>  i do not _want_ to be forced into a position where i must do
>  "all or nothing", which is what kicker's design forces all programmers
>  considering writing alternative desktop interfaces to do.

Well, if you don't want a program, you cannot expect the program to offer only
parts of its functionality.
But this is free software, you can implement a stub that contains only what
you want.
I don't see how having a program that does more than just contain the
application menu is remotely related to bad design.

>  i am employing an incremental development technique called
>  "not biting off more than you can chew".

Well, then you either don't have functionality you don't provide or run
parallel to the program that can.

>  in other words, i want to be able to give users the choice,
>  _plus_ i want to be able to tackle each step one-at-a-time.

The only bit you seem to miss is the menu, so perhaps you should tackle the
step "menu" next.

>  if i end up with no choice (because the developers do not feel like
>  putting in a switch to disable the panel of kicker) then i will.

You are free to do so.

> > > can i make my superkaramba theme be what RESPONDS to "dcop kicker
>  that's the bit that i don't want to tackle right now - so i am going
>  for a "hack".
>
>  i am, as i mentioned, FORCED into running kicker, i have to select the
>  "panel" options which make it:
>
>  - transparent with no colour
>  - 1% wide
>  - auto-hide
>  - small fonts
>
>  etc.
>
>  this is ridiculous: there should just be an option to switch it off!

You can hide kicker's main panel like any other QWidget through its DCOP API.
dcop kicker qt/Panel hide

But I really believe you should think about your design a little bit and
arrive at the decision that providing the menu yourself serves your users
best.

Cheers,
Kevin

--