List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Desktop icon spacing KDE-3.3.0
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-08-24 16:44:21

Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Monday 23 August 2004 06:29, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>I posted this code on the dot:
>>
>>int gridX = gridXValue();
>>int gridY = 120; // 120 pixels should be enough for everyone (tm)
>>
>>Note: does the comment in the second line qualify as arrogant?
>>
>>This is from: kdebase/kdesktop/kdiconview.cc [line 1,189].
>>
>>I find that changing 120 to 60 in the second line does NOT solve the
>>problem.
>>
>>So, it would appear that this is a more serious code error.  Actually, it
>>looks like some kind of cover up.
>

> It covers up the fact that we don't really know the height of the item, since
> it can later change when a preview becomes available.
>
> To prevent that new icons appear on top of each other we need to be a bit
> conservative in the amount of space that we leave between them, as indicated
> by the comment.
>
> It seems that the icon spacing after rearranging is determined by
> KonqIconViewWidget::lineupIcons() which uses the values from
> KonqIconViewWidget::gridValues it seems.
>
> Maybe Benoit can comment on the relative large "ny" returned by gridValues()
>
> As far as the 120 goes, perhaps it can be replaced with ny from
> KonqIconViewWidget::gridValues, although it doesn't seem to result in a
> better value at the moment (but perhaps that will change)

Thanks Waldo.  Changing *dy to a integer value in:

kdebase/libkonq/konq_iconviewwidget.cc [line 1026 & 1027]

is a temporary fix to the problem.  There is a small problem with this, the
spacing between the first and second rows is not as large as  between the other
rows. :-(  Perhaps another bug.

--
JRT