List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DOUBLE RIGHT-CLICK!!!
From:       Christopher Layne <clayne () anodized ! com>
Date:       2004-08-19 12:23:13

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 07:34:45PM +0200, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> The additional mouse travel is no big deal if the button is big and you have
> an infrared mouse. Having to switch finger can be even more onerous in that
> case. Not to mention the dramatic gain in simplicity: by removing the
> right-mouse button you remove one degree of complexity and you loose nothing.
> (and you make everything discoverable)

I couldn't resist this.

Have you ever played piano?

While a single button is more "simple" it just places more dependency on a
single finger.  So dumb down the requirement for motor skills because it's
"too complex?" There's a lot of distance 3 or even 4 fingers could make use
of - and we should be interested in both simplicity, efficiency, and speed.

A basic user is not forced to use all buttons available. But I think it's
rather lame to dumb down an input interface, using a single finger only,
when it could be so much more utilized.

-cl