List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DOUBLE RIGHT-CLICK!!!
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2004-08-18 18:31:42

On August 18, 2004 02:34 pm, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> Not necessary, but in a desktop environment it is highly desirable,
> especially since any nondiscoverable feature can be made discoverable by
> adding a button the way described above.

Context menus are not needed to be discoverable. Just look at Mac OS as an
example. Context menus are for power users.

The important thing is that all options on the context menu are also acessable
via the main menu. Adding a double right click option for power users doesn't
affect this.

> That's true. The point is to find a small (or minimal) set of concepts you
> have to get used to. The right mouse menu is an outdated relic of a time
> when mice were not infrared

????

What does the mouse being infrared have to do with anything? Just because I
can leave my mousepad does not make the travel time any shorter.

I also did not see your offer to buy an infrared mouse for everyone who cannot
afford such things.

My current logitech mouse has 4 buttons plus the scrollwheel. I use all of
them. Is it "outdated"?. No, it is extremely useful. I can click one button
and launch Konqueror without even moving my hand.

> The additional mouse travel is no big deal if the button is big and you
> have an infrared mouse.

Yes it is.The increased distance to acquire such a button would outweigh any
size increase you could possibly make, unless it filled at least 1/4 of the
screen or was at the screen edge, both of which are not possible for a normal
application.

--
There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We do not believe this to be a coincidence.  ~Jeremy S. Anderson