List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: integrating virtual reality into KDE
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-08-15 19:49:43

Hi all,

thanks for your responses. Especially this one holds some questions.

Just some general reply: the G System is less about data transfer (kio slave).
The KDE integration would more be for the communicational capabilities of the
G System [in a 3D virtual environment, which would be an interesting addition
to Kopete]. That's of course not what the G System is limited to but what
(one of) the purpose of "KDE" integration would be - or the purpose of a
"online game experience" for the game module - or as a scientific playground
for a science module... whatever would be of interest then.

About network lags/disconnects/... world content loss / ... We have a few
thoughts about that which would minimize such failures, but no implementation
- as the network layer itself is still missing.

Human beings: they would play part in the simulation just as anything else. Of
course they have more power in terms of individual will, but ARE restricted
to the laws of the simulation, which are among other things of
evolutional/... type. Concering evolution: there is not much about evolution
integrated in the system yet, this will come more and more as the underlying
infrastructure is provided.

Overall I agree with you that it is just too premature to think about an
integration. I also wanted to "taste the waters" of the KDEers, what they
think about this, so thanks to all for their replies & thoughts. We will
first provide a standalone client, what happens then is not a question now.

Regards,
Raphael