List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror/fam prevents umount of cdrom
From:       Damien Uern <morpheus_2606 () internode ! on ! net>
Date:       2004-08-08 1:40:02

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 05:36 am, Adam Pigg wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is it possible to configure konqueror/fam to no watch certain directories
> such as cdrom/removable media mount points.  I quite often have to close
> konqueror to unmount a cdrom, even though it not looking in that folder
> (though if it was looking there id still like to be able to unmount)
>
> That brings me to another thing, in the universal sidebar there is a
> 'devices' tree which i use alot.  Clicking on a cdrom opens konqueror and
> mounts the cd, but the rmb menu that is available in the konqueror sidebar
> to unmount/eject the cd is not available, is it possible to enable this? or
> can you point me to the appropriate code to look at and i might have a go
> myself.
>
> Oh, and another thing about the devices:/ protocol/sidebar.  I have 6
> partitions normally, but up to 8 at times, and the sidebar/protocol names
> then all 'Hard Disc (device) [mount/point]'  It would be nice if this order
> could be changed as the sidebar isnt wide enough to display the full mount
> point, so all i really see is 6x 'Hard Disc (dev)'.  An even better idea
> might be to assign names to each device, hmmmmm, i might try that.
>

> Cheers
>
> PiggZ

With HAL/DBUS integration, KDE should be able to take care of
mounting/unmounting devices automagically shouldn't it? Something like
GNOME's volume manager (I haven't used it, but it's coming in 2.8).

I have a problem where I use smb4k to mount a remote share to my local
filesystem, but I can't unmount it because fam is watching the directory.
These mount points are created dynamically depending on the share name, so it
would be a pain to have to go to some fam module and say "please don't watch
this path" everytime you mount some new share. Instead, I suppose, there
should be an API for mounting whatever to the filesystem, and these mounts
are not watched by FAM by default (but the application using the API could
enable it I suppose).

As far as being able to right-click -> unmount/mount, I'm wondering if that is
the right terminology to use? For somebody coming from Windows, that
terminology is completely new. Windows has some horrible unplug/eject systray
applet thing. But we should have something that says the device can now be
safely unplugged (i.e. all data has been sychronised). This is only for
writeable devices of course. For CD/DVD drives, just having eject should
suffice shouldn't it? I mean, you only ever unmount something when you want
to eject it don't you?

Cheers,

Damien

- --
 Fry: What are we going to do?
 Professor: Duh, I know, let's play the lottery.
 Amy: No, let's buy internet stock.
 Zoidberg: On margin! Zoidbee wants to buy on margin.
 Hermes: Look at me! I'm invisible.
 Fry: Wait a minute, I know what's going on here. You've all become idiots.
 Bender: Hey, let's go join the Reform party!
 Everyone: Yeah!