List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to open non installed docbook in khelpcenter
From:       Bernd Pol <bernd.pol () online ! de>
Date:       2004-08-04 7:14:06

Am Dienstag August 3 2004 18:50 schrieb Richard Taylor:
> Is there anyway to get khelpcenter to open a docbook file that has
> not been installed in the KDEDIR/share/docs directory?
>
> I am working on some documentation and I do not want to install it
> everytime I need to check how khelpcenter is going to render it.

Provided you have an already installed docbook, there is a neat trick I
regularly use:
- Find the documentation installation directory
(e.g. /usr/local/kde/share/doc/HTML/en/myprogdoc)
- Save (I rename it to xxx.docbook.old) the xxx.docbook file you are
working at (just in case..)
- Put a symbolic link to your working copy of the docbook file there
instead.

khelpcenter will then parse this file the next time you open the
documentation. That way you see the exact outcome without having to
fiddle with meinproc and/or standard documentation headers.

Notes:
1) If your documentation has been split into independent parts, you must
change the  main .docbook file as well (touch or alter and re-save a
linked work copy), so that khelpcenter knows of the change.
2) You must re-install the symbolic links every time the application was
installed.

Have a nice day,
Bernd
--
Never trust a running program, but always worship its makers.