List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: bookmarks & ldap - future plans?
From:       Szombathelyi_György <gyurco () freemail ! hu>
Date:       2004-08-03 9:11:32

Hello!

Tyler Retzlaff wrote:

>>Can you show me an LDAP schema for storing bookmarks? Maybe I will work
>>on it.
>

> I would suggest starting with the Netscape schema at:
> http://www.itworld.com/AppDev/1411/LWD990901netscape/
>
> naturally kde specific extensions can be made, but it would be a value
> add if it worked with netscapes schema as well.

This documents the schema, but not the actual data format used. Have you
got some specs?

>>Bye,
>>Gy?rgy
>

> Let me know if you need a hand, I don't really know my way around kde
> but I know LDAP well enough and operate a directory suitable for
> testing.

If you can set up a directory server with public access and some example
entries, I will look into the possibilities. I know the LDAP code in
KDE, the bookmarks are not my strongest point, but I think it's not a
difficult thing to implement. However, the next KDE version which can
have this feature is KDE 4.

Also it would be good to have not just bookmarks, but the whole
configuration environment in LDAP, (e.g a KConfig backend), which will
allow to centralize the desktop management (like in Novell NDS, or AD
group policy).

Bye,
György