List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kmail problems
From:       Corrin Lakeland <lakeland () cs ! otago ! ac ! nz>
Date:       2004-07-12 3:51:39

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:39, Michael Pyne wrote:

> This is sort of off-topic, but there was a password in that e-mail capture,

Yeah, the password being captured occurred to me too, but I was worried a
partial capture would miss the error.

> On Sunday 11 July 2004 22:17, Z wrote:
> > Here it is the capture of a email from forums.mozillazine.org that is
> > displayed as a blank email in Kmail

I take it this message was captured when kmail was accessing it.

One of the kmail developers might be better than me at spotting the protocol
error.  I see Michael Haeckel is currently in charge of that file, but he
might be too busy.  Anyway, here is my attempt.  At a wild guess, the problem
is here in the dump you captured:

To: mmodem00@netvisao.pt

This looks odd to me because I cannot see why there should be binary data
after the timezone (the -0000).  But maybe that's just the end of the packet
and nothing important happened there.  If it translates to whitespace, then I
can imagine kmail wanting to split the message there, which would cause
exactly the behavour you're describing.

Looking at the pop3 code, the message is stored inside a variable called
readBuffer, so try adding the following code to pop3.cc

Change at somewhere around line 850 (you're bound to be running a different
version to me, so the code will be on a different line.  Hopefully the rest
won't have changed much).

          if (buf2 > destbuf) {
            array.setRawData(destbuf, buf2 - destbuf);
            data(array);
            array.resetRawData(destbuf, buf2 - destbuf);
          }

          if (buf2 > destbuf) {
            array.setRawData(destbuf, buf2 - destbuf);
            data(array);
	    POP3_DEBUG << array;
            array.resetRawData(destbuf, buf2 - destbuf);
          }

Then start kmail at the command line (so that you get to see the debug
messages).

Does this sound right? Anybody?

Corrin