List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kmail problems
From:       "Gary L. Greene, Jr." <greeneg () arklinux ! org>
Date:       2004-07-04 16:05:59

On Friday 02 July 2004 11:12 pm, Zé wrote:
> Em Sexta, 2 de Julho de 2004 23:54, escreveu:
> > I would like to be able to help you fix this problem, but I do not
> > understand what you are seeing in Evolution and what you are not seeing
> > in Kmail. If you wouldn't mind please take a screen shot of what
> > Evolution displays for one of the emails and another screen shot of what
> > Kmail displays for the same email. Don't worry about the image format, I
> > can open pretty much anything.
>
> Here are attached the last email i received in kmail and it was displayed
> as a blank email, and also the same email displayed in Evolution for you
> see well what i mean with blank email ok!
> If you right click to see the code in the blank email displayed in kmail,
> appears what is now in the attachment, so dont say that is not a blank
> email, like so many said, please pay attention to what i say.
>
> Now im pasting the last email i sended to kde-devel mailing list describing
> this kmail bug for i dont have more reclamations or missunderstandings:

> i am about to report it is only a Mandrake/Kmail bug, that started hapening
> in Mandrake10.0 (in mandrake9.2 it was all ok).
>
> So what happens is, that KMail display many emails (html and/or plain text)
> as blank emails, with unknown sender and date, and with no suject, from for
> example forums.mozillazine.org, also from www.linuxquestions.org, display
> these emails as blank emails. only when i click to see the code, is that is
> possible to see something.
> And these same emails retrieved from the server from Evolution are all well
> displayed.
>
> I tried many things to see if i could put kmail displaying these emails
> correctly, i chooseed using a maildir folder instead of an mbox, deleted
> the .index files to rebuild again by kmail, deleted the ~/.Mail dir.
> For last compiled kdepim-3.2.3-2mdk.src.rpm without the patch (Mandrake
> patch) that puts messages in the folder ~/.Mail, because Mandrake uses the
> folder ~/.Mail instead of the folder ~/Mail.
> i also installed Mandrake 10.0 in english, cause it woud have something
> related with the locale (language) settings, but no, nothing resolved.
>
> The main problems:
> - Messages are cut off, often before the beginning of the body, as can be
> seen in the message sources of the relevant messages
> - Problem appears with all messages, not just HTML messages as the OP would
> have one believe
> - Problem is with downloading or storing messages
> - Servers are POP and locally run hotwayd pop gateway for Hotmail
> - /tmp is not a separate partition; / is not full (1 GiB left)
> - no relevant filters are in effect
> - problem still appears when logging in as another user
> - deleting the .index files did not help
> - maildir or mbox have no impact on the issue
>
> To remeber that all this problem started with Mandrake10.0, i remeber that
> when i was using Mandrake9.2 and received emails from
> [...]

It's important to note that the version of KDE in MDK 10.0 is a CVS snapshot
and is not the final release 3.2. I've noticed a fair amount of
inconsistencies with the version of KDE in MDK 10.0 versus the one in other
distributions.

- --
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from uriel.tolharadyne.net
 12:01:40 up 21:32,  3 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.08, 0.07
Volunteer developer for the Ark Linux Project
 check out http://www.arklinux.org/ for more info.
 Also http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~greeneg/
EMAIL : greeneg@arklinux.org