List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Regarding KDE 4
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-07-03 15:41:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Rolf Magnus wrote:
>Isn't that the other way round? For using kioslaves with non-kde
> programs? I think there should be some generic vfs support that does
> a similar job to kioslaves, but independant of KDE, and then KDE
> should itself use that instead of (or maybe additional to) kioslaves.

Why can't KIO be that VFS? If you mean kernel-level, then KIO is ruled
out, but for anything else, it works just fine.

So, the KIO specs are out there. The protocol is well defined, not to
mention the libraries. Why don't other apps use them? It boils down to
asking klauncher via DCOP to start one and then use a normal Unix
socket to send commands and retrieve answers.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info