List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Regarding KDE 4
From:       Zack Rusin <zack () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-07-03 11:18:40

On Saturday 03 July 2004 07:03, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> I have read as much in the Trolltech Qt teaser article. It is
> mentioned as a possibility. If/when Cairo takes ground, it will
> surely be a possibility, however, since the initial targetted backend
> seem to include X11 and OpenGL, between the ones that can be of
> interest to KDE.

I'm not sure what's your point here. I said "It is not certain Qt 4 will
have Cairo Aurthur backend." and you said the exact same thing. So I'm
not sure why I had to read it.

> I'm not sure I follow you here: desktop level translucency support
> can be achieved only if all the underlying system support it -- so if
> X11 does not, we would end up with the hacks that can be seen
> nowadays.

We were talking about translucency in general. Not desktop level
translucency. Try to easily create a QPushButton with transparent
background in your application.

> So, the Compose and Damage extensions are needed to handle the
> translucent window compositing. And X11 will probably need OpenGL
> capable hardware (and lots video RAM) to compose the translucent
> windows on the screen each time the transparent area is damaged.

Which we haven't been talking about.

> And about the animation, again, what is the problem? It's just a
> matter of programming it. Unless you are referring to those warping
> effect when minimizing windows, which could be unpractical without 3d
> acceleration.

Read the email where you'll see that when he says "cool animations and
effects" he refers to OpenGL. And since most of the time we won't be
using OpenGL backend, OpenGL animations/effects become useles.

> Hopefully the situation will improve, however. Render acceleration
> should be finally in the xorg CVS for Radeon drivers. Using Render

That's again not true. r250 are not supported. I'm using Radeon 9000
with r250 and I'm not going to get acceleration anytime soon.

> directly, or using Cairo, in the end does matter much.

The two prominent rendering backends for Cairo are Render and Glitz so
it's not "Cairo or Render".

Zack

--
Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.