List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Window Focus Behaviour
From:       Damien Uern <morpheus_2606 () internode ! on ! net>
Date:       2004-07-02 9:48:11

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 05:08 pm, AR User wrote:
> Hi, James.
>
> > Do you mean that you want something higher than high?  KDE-3.2.3 has:
> > "Extreme".
>
> No.  Higher than high would, to me, seem like nothing can ever get the
> focus -- not even the application that popped open a new window.
>
> > My problem is the opposite.  Even with it set at: "None" some windows
> > (New GIMP windows and start up of KSysGuard) fail to activate.
>
> What I'd like is this:
>
> 1. Run Application A
> 2. Run Application B
> 3. Start typing in Application A
> 4. App. B appears, but does NOT take focus from App. A
> 5. Switch to App. B
> 6. Start typing in App. B
> 7. App. B pops up a window
> 8. Focus moves to the new window
> 9. Switch to App. A
> 10. App. B pops up another window
> 11. Focus remains with App. A
>
> Does that make more sense?  In English:
>
> Focus should remain with the currently focused application (CFA),
> however if the CFA displays a new window, then keyboard focus (KF)
> should move to the first input field of the new window.  If an
> application is not CFA, then there should be no way it can ever
> automatically gain KF.
>
> Basically, do not automatically take KF away between applications (e.g.,
> typing in Konsole should never lose focus -- ever).  Between windows of
> the same application is okay (e.g., Mozilla's mail server password
> prompt should always take focus, provided Mozilla is the CFA).
>
> Dave

I understand exactly what you mean. Thats why I turned off focus stealing
prevention, because even on "low", open dialogs for some apps wouldn't get
the focus, which sucked. So yeah, I've wanted focus stealing prevention for
ages, but it needs to behave how you described for it to be useful.

cheers,

Damien

- --
Computer: "Leela, you've got mail. It's not spam!"