List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Regarding KDE 4
From:       Ulrik Mikaelsson <rawler () rsn ! bth ! se>
Date:       2004-07-01 18:38:13

Thursday 01 July 2004 19.47 skrev Matt Newell:
> On Thursday 01 July 2004 10:30, Ulrik Mikaelsson wrote:
> > I assume KDE 4 will be built around Qt 4, correct?
> >
> > If the precious question is true, it will require rewriting a lot of
> > code. Will KDE 4 overall be rewritten?
> Most code probably won't be rewritten.  Code that has been debugged and
> tested for years is very valuable.  I'm sure there will be areas that will
> be, but mostly to take advantage of the new technology that qt will
> provide.
True, but we all know that the number of bugs some certain code contains is
dependant on it's related code. When changing some code, you always break
some other code. Considering basic code such as collections and threading API
have changed in Qt, I find it hard to believe that much KDE-code will behave
as it used to. Just flip the order two functions are invoked and you can
count on there is some slot-ed listener somewhere that were dependant on that
order.
Anyways, that code WILL be rewritten to take advantage of the new QT API:s is
kindof what I wanted to hear. ;)

> > If the previous question is true, will the overall design/architecture of
> > KDE be re-evaluated? I know KDE haven't changed it's architecture much
> > since 1.0, and it have worked excellent so far, but IMHO in some areas
> > the limitations of the current architecture/design is beginning to reveal
> > themselves.
> KDE's architecture was significantly updated in 2.0, and it was thought out
> very well and practical.  The biggest limitation is lack of developer time.
Ok, and the architecture will not be re-evaluated in aspects to new and
updated technologies since 2.0, such as Qt4 with proper threading-support,
and D-BUS?

> > Will the KConfig class be obsoleted and replaced by KXConfig?
> I believe that kxconfig uses kconfig.
I'm uncertain, since I haven't been able to find much info about KXConfig at
all. But isn't KXConfig XML-based, whereas KConfig is based
on .desktop-files? It seems to me the two are very different in nature and
usage?

> > Will KDE abandon CVS in favour of Subversion or something else for 4.0?
> It seems to me that kde doesn't have a lot of problems with cvs.  I could
> be wrong.
Allright, it was just one of these unconfirmed rumours that I've picked up
somewhere. ;)

Thanks for your response. I'm as you can see very eager to see what can be
done for KDE 4. I believe it can and will be an important milestone for KDE.
Now that the Linux user-base is growing more and more rapidly, satisfying
their needs is essential, and I believe one of the most important foundations
required to do so, is KDE.

Regards
/ Ulrik

- --
Any program which runs right is obsolete.