List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE Window Focus Behaviour
From:       AR User <ars () joot ! com>
Date:       2004-06-30 19:37:56

Hi!

After messing around with the Focus level (Normal, High, Medium, etc.),
I found that I, personally, need another setting.  Bear with me.  :-)

This focus setting would only allow the current application to take the
keyboard focus away.  Since Konsole doesn't open any other windows
without human intervention, this would allow me to type in my commands
without worrying that another application will receive my 'rm -rf /*',
or, worse, my passwords from ssh.  For example:

1. Open Konsole
2. ssh somesystem
3. Background application pops up an input "chat" window
4. At 100 wpm, I type in the password and press enter, but the chat
window has stolen focus mid-keypress!

I've set the focus level to "high", but then here's something bothersome:

1. Open Thunderbird
2. Use an e-mail server that requires passwords for both incoming and
outgoing e-mail (starting to be the norm. these days)
3. Check mail (prompts for password, doesn't give focus)
4. Compose a new message.
5. Compose a second message.
6. Send the first message

By this time, the screen (even at 1600x1200) is full of windows, and the
password prompt for sending mail is hidden, much less focused.  So I
turn the focus level back to "low" because I want the password prompt
within Mozilla to focus.  But then I have the first problem.  :-)

If I'm in Mozilla, Mozilla has the right to take my keyboard focus -- it
knows its own state.  If I'm in Konsole, no other application should
wrest focus from the keyboard, period.

Whew.  Okay, any ideas on how I can go about changing this behaviour?

Sincerely,
Dave Jarvis