List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Sluggish behavior
From:       praveen <campusloop () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-06-30 12:32:50

hi,
         kde becomes very sluggish when i
download/upload any big file over local area network
where speed is high like nearly 800kbps or 1Mbps  .
this is very acute when using samba for transferring
files. Whenever i copy files via using cp or through
konqueror, processes such as kget, juk, krandrtray,
kweatherservice  etc. nearly all the running kde
processes show activity when i check them through top.
I have nearly 20 kde processes running and all them
run when i copy those files and become idle as soon as
copying files finishes. this does not happen if the
files are transferred between partitions different
from the home directory. I understand that kde uses
some sort of dnotify/fam to watch for
files/directories as they change. I was wondering if
that is the reason and can something be done about
it?? i am using kde 3.2.3 on suse 9.1.

thanks,
Praveen.