List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE With Sun Forte C++
From:       Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde () carewolf ! com>
Date:       2004-06-16 10:43:20

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 12:09, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> I'm trying to build KDE with CC: Sun C++ 5.5 Patch 113817-07 2004/03/23 -
> vaguely supposing that this is a supported compiler - and it's not going
> very quickly. Here and there I've made changes to get stuff to compile,
> like
>
> class A
> {
> private:
> 	class B;
> 	typedef QValueList<B> BList;
>
> 	class B
> 	{
> 	private:
> 		BList *m_list;
> 	}
> }
>
> which CC complains about (since BList is private in A) and gcc doesn't.
> Library modules typically need -lCstd -lCrun -lc added.
>
> Anyway, questions:
>
> 1) Has anyone managed to compile KDE with Sun Forte C++?
Yes, I've used Sun Workshop 6.4 (C++ 5.1) to compile KDE 3.1, I think 7.0+ is
officially supported by KDE. Check the archives on kde-solaris.

> 2) Which compiler is right wrt. the nesting issue above?
Gcc if it is nested. On the other hand gcc often accepts access to private
data-structures where CC dont, and where CC is right.

> 3) I'm now working on kssl, and getting things like this:

One thing about CC is that is serious about extern "C" declarations. It
actually parses the content as if it was C and not C++, where gcc accepts
both. I would advise reading the code and finding out what the writer tried
to solve using extern "C" and then do it right (or safer).

` Allan