List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Adding improved file search to KDE
From:       Jonathan Gardner <jgardner () jonathangardner ! net>
Date:       2004-06-15 18:01:16

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 02:43 am, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > The only metadata we should store are the file's name, title (if
> > applicable), permissions, ownership, and last access "score". Also,
> > file type and category will be recorded.
>
> why not go further and storing the medata informations of a mp3 or a divx
> ?

We'd have to have the library functions to be able to extract the metadata
from those files. Don't Open Office documents have meta data as well?

> > Any thoughts?
>
> It look like WinFS, I hope it won't be as ressource consuming as WinFS
> will be.

Yes, it will consume resources. The question is when and how much. I see it
as running slowly in the background, careful never to consume resources
when resources are in demand. But when the system is idle, it will work
faster. It'd have to be careful not to force files that should be in the
cache to swap.

> And one question, what will happen when someone want to save a file ?

If they save through the KDE API, then we could send a message to the
indexing process. The indexing process will pick that up and put that file

If the user won't mind a second of additional delay, we can probably just
index the file on the spot as it is already in memory.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner@jonathangardner.net