List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DANGER Fedora
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2004-06-11 17:45:10

> You shouldn't expect Fedora packages to work on a system which is not
> Fedora, i.e. has a glibc compiled by yourself, etc. There seem to be
> significant binary incompatibilities between glibc that ships with FC1 vs.
> glibc that shipped on RH9, and typically you can't run FC1 packages on an
> RH9 system nor vice versa.

Oh, I forgot to mention that this applies to *most* packages that come with
either FC1 or RH9, not only KDE. OpenSSH and RPM seem to have some serious
problems when you *incorrectly* (i.e. in wrong order) live-upgrade a RH8/RH9
system to FC1. And so on. I've been live-updating some 10 systems over the
years via RH7, RH8, RH9 and FC1 route :)

I would consider anyone trying to run FC1 binary packages on RH9 to be on his
own and doing it at his own peril. I don't think anyone on this forum should
even try to support that as it typically simply doesn't work for many non-kde
packages as well.

Cheers, Kuba Ober