List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde, xfree & RAM
From:       "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti () mclink ! it>
Date:       2004-06-11 8:59:44

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 16:50:25 PM +0930, Damien Uern
(morpheus_2606@internode.on.net) wrote:

> ... people posting on the Osnews.com and now slashdot.org
> threads on this matter (and elsewhere and my own experiences)
> suggest that KDE is slower than even WinXP on the same hardware.
[snip]
> Is the drawing speed of XFree86 too slow and causing
> perceived sluggishness?

I can tell you one thing: go read my report "RULE at install fest in
Tuscany" from www.rule-project.org. On that machine (32MB of RAM)
kdrive (not X) and KOffice 1.2 are useable. Not fast by any stretch of
imagination, but useable.

> I think it's probably a bit of everything, and as Waldo Bastian
> mentioned on this thread, we need tools to help find the problem
> areas. User experiences of "slowness" don't really tell us what the
> problem is, so we need real data.

Happy to help, but... I have read Waldo's post. I have no trouble to
admit that *building* such tools is way over my capabilities, or those
of almost everybody else at RULE. Ditto, probably, for understanding
their output.

But, if somebody else does have tools that we can *run* for you to
gather real data, I'll do everything I can to use them and get
everybody in RULE to do the same. We obviously have the greatest
interest in finding reasons of slowness, in KDE or anywhere else.

HTH,
	Marco
--
Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Red Hat for low memory         http://www.rule-project.org/

rules should encourage thinking, not discourage it.
                   The New York Times Manual of Style and Usage