List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Papersize weirdness
From:       Joachim Eibl <joachim.eibl () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-05-23 19:05:30

On Sunday 23 May 2004 18:37, Markus Brueffer wrote:
> On Saturday 22 May 2004 12:26, Joachim Eibl wrote:
> > On Saturday 22 May 2004 12:10, Markus Brueffer wrote:
> > > I have a problem here and I wasn't able to identify the source so far,
> > > so maybe someone can give me a pointer.
> > > NVidia Ti4200 in dual head mode (i.e. TwinView of the NVidia-driver is
> > > enabled and Xinerama disabled)
> >
> > I had a similar problem with xine once. The aspect-ratio was always
> > wrong.
> >
> > For me the problem was in /etc/X11/XF86Config, Section
> > "Monitor", DisplaySize (in millimeters).
> > Correcting this helped me. With your specific setup, this might not have
> > been correctly detected automatically.
>
> You were right. After testing some combinations (due to TwinView) now the
> output of kghostview looks great again :) Thanks!
>
> But in the end, the question remains: Why do the different apps behave
> totally different?

Applications that try to show some preview of a printout as exact as possible
(so that a circle remains a circle and won't be streched to an ellipse
regardless of the monitor) should take care of the DisplaySize settings. So
actually the programs that stretched the output are right.

But nowadays most displays have square pixels so that an application that
assumes square pixels gets it right on such displays, even if the X-config is
wrong.

In future, with very high resolution screens the topic becomes important
again, because applications/systems that assume that a fixed-size font is
always readable might get hard to use, once screen-resolutions go from now 72
dpi to perhaps 200 dpi because the fixed-sized fonts will appear much smaller
then.

Joachim