List:       kde-devel
Subject:    How to implement on-demand loadable plugins?
From:       Cougar <liuspider () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-05-15 1:47:58

Hi,

I am one of the developers of a CJK input method
platform (called SCIM,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scim ).

As to the KDE Frontend of SCIM, I want to implement
such mechanism to load plugins:

Most plugins are only needed when users activate some
kactions, so I think it would be good if plugins can
be loaded on-demand.

IMO when the main program startup, each plugin should
register to the main program its own kactions and then
unload itself. When the user activate a kaction
belonging to a plugin, then this plugin will get
loaded and execute this particular action, after that,
the plugin can decide whether to unload or insist in
memory.

I can implement all of these, but I wonder whether
there are any existing techniques to achieve this kind
of "on-demand loadable plugins".

Any comments are appreciated, thanks

Regards,
Liucougar