List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Chance of inclusion of PwManager in KDE
From:       Christian Loose <christian.loose () hamburg ! de>
Date:       2004-04-30 17:44:31

Am Freitag, 30. April 2004 17:07 schrieb Michael Buesch:
> Hi,
>
> I am the developer of the advanced password manager "PwManager".
> http://passwordmanager.sourceforge.net
>
> It is an advanced feature rich password manager with a
> KWallet emulation feature. That means you can use PwManager with
> any (not yet any, but in future it will be any) KWallet client
> application. PwManager optionally emulates the KWallet API.
>
> So in the past I got many requests per email to include PwManager
> in the standard KDE distribution packages. As I'm not able to
> decide what goes into the KDE packages and what does not, I want
> to ask you.
> What is the chance of PwManager beeing included in KDE?
>
> PwManager is currently in an almost "stable" state. Version
> 1.0 will be released soon.

(Since I haven't used your app yet, my opinion is only based on your webpage)

Hi Michael,

IMHO having to competing password managers inside the KDE base distribution is
a bad idea.

So I think you have two options:

1. Add your application to kdeextragear. This gives your app more visibility
and other benefits of the kde infrastructure (doc, i18n, etc).
2. You could base your application on KWallet. So it uses KWallet to store the
password but provides the additional features it has now (like chipcard
interface). It could then replace the current kwalletmanager  in
kdeutils/kwallet.

Just my 0,02 Euro....

--
Christian Loose