List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DANGER Fedora
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <ulrick2 () faith4miracle ! org>
Date:       2004-04-27 22:02:11

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:03:08 -0300
Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira@kdemail.net> wrote:

> Now, the question is: where? I -- and most other people here in this
> list -- don't have Fedora systems to try and build KDE. If you have
> it, please tell us the errors so that we may solve them.

Hello, Everyone :)
Well, it looks like I'm the man :)  I am running Fedora Core 1, and I
have been a happy KDE user for almost as long as we've owned a computer
(February of 2001)  I have discovered that the problems that I thought I
was having with KDE were really not KDE prblems, but problems that crept
in because of what the packagers felt the need to do to KDE.  In my
case, that woould be Red Hat, and now the Fedora project.
I am currently running QT 3.3.1 from TrollTech's official source
tarball, and I am running KDE from CVS HEAD.  I have had extremely
minimal issues with compiling KDE from CVS HEAD, and extremely few
issues with KDE once I get it compiled and installed.  Until
recently.....  Very recently, like a few days ago, I started to have
issues with some KDE CVS modules demanding one version of autconf, and
other modules demanding another version.  But I digress.  In a desire to
help all of us perfect (bring to maturity :)) KDE, I am going to begin
compiling updates from CVS HEAD, and if I get any errors, I will report
them to this list on a module by module basis.  I will build in the
order that KDE says it should be built in:
arts
kdelibs
kdebase
"everything else"
kdeaddons

I will post the following information on a website so you can look at it
at your convenience.  I will include a link to it in any email that I
send you relating to compiling, installing and running KDE from CVS
HEAD.

Operating System: Fedora Core 1, full installation (not an upgrade),
most recent official Fedora Core 1 kernel and all offical updates are
installed, and kept up to date on a very frequent basis.  Also, when I
install(ed), I always install every package (about 1400 or so)

QT: Official 3.3.1 source tarball from TrollTech
KDE: CVS HEAD
Also, I am currently using "unsermake" to build KDE.  This has
eliminated my aforementioned issue with autoconf.
Also, our installation of KDE is in it's own directory.  I did not
overwrite the RPM's with CVS HEAD (been there, done that)

If there is any more information that you need, let me know, and I will
add it to the file that I referred to earlier.

In closing, it is my pleasure to do what I can to help all of us improve
KDE :)

Steven P. Ulrick