List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DANGER Fedora
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-04-27 13:03:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

>Actually their are two problems.
>
>1.	People that can't get KDE to run on Fedora.  This may or may not be
>  a "packaging" problem".  Obviously, people that can't seem to build
> it from source are not having a "packaging problem" -- it is a
> compatibility problem.  We have had these problems before with
> RedHat-8 and I think that after we found out exactly what the
> problems were that they were eventually solved.  So, unless we don't
> want people with Fedora to run KDE, we need to address them.

Ok, so we have a problem there. The solution is simple: a patch.

Now, the question is: where? I -- and most other people here in this
list -- don't have Fedora systems to try and build KDE. If you have it,
please tell us the errors so that we may solve them.

But also note you are saying it's an incompatibility with glibc 2.3.3,
isn't that so? Well, I'm also using it and I have no problems. That
hints me to a bug in glibc, not KDE.

*IF* that is the case, we may make a workaround, but the best solution
would be to solve the bug where it really is. I cannot believe the Red
Hat developers would be so intransigent as to not listen to us.

>2.	People are trying to install the Fedora RPMs on RedHat-9 and it
> doesn't work.  This appears to be an incompatibility problem.  Until
> recently, I didn't know why this would be a problem but now I do.
> The solution is for people to not use the Fedora RPMs on RedHat-9.
> But, the problem is that when they go to the KDE website, it sort of
> implies that that is what they should do. :-(

You should never install packages for one distribution/version in
another distribution/version. That's the rule.

If the KDE website indicates Fedora RPMs when you ask for Red Hat 9
packages, it has to be fixed.

>If we want the KDE
> project to be successful we need to see the users as customers and we
> must consider that if we have unhappy users that we have a problem.

Indeed. But I am completely helpless here. I don't have a Fedora system
to test (though I do have glibc 2.3.3). So, here's what people have
been telling you in this thread: contact whoever does have a Fedora
system and can do something about this bug and have that person fix it.
We cannot because we have no idea what's wrong.

I am away from kde-bugs-dist, so I don't know if you've filed any bug
reports. Have you? If so, I'd be willing to go over them and do my
best.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info