List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DANGER Fedora
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-04-27 4:45:46

Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Monday 26 April 2004 12:08 am, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Andy Fawcett wrote:
>>
>>>KDE doesn't offer or provide packages at all, they merely provide FTP
>>>space for those packaging teams which request it.
>>
>>Are we splitting hairs for a reason?
>>

> I believe that all that he was trying to get at was that for problems with
> binary packages provided for a distribution, the maintainer(s) of the
> packages should be contacted directly, rather than attempting to get help
> from the people who hack on KDE, because they won't be the most likely to
> help with this type of issue. Granted, a few of us might be able to help, but
> as this problem seems limited to Fedora, it would be best to contact the
> person(s) who maintain the kde packages for Fedora and alert them of the
> issue.

Specifically, I don't know if (or how) it is going to help to contact the
people that are maintaining the KDE packages for Fedora since I presume
that these are being maintained by the Fedora project.  It has been my
observation that HP (et all) are not willing to admit that there is
anything wrong with the $&#*## way that they (RedHat) package Linux.

Actually their are two problems.

1.	People that can't get KDE to run on Fedora.  This may or may not be  a
"packaging" problem".  Obviously, people that can't seem to build it from
source are not having a "packaging problem" -- it is a compatibility
problem.  We have had these problems before with RedHat-8 and I think that
after we found out exactly what the problems were that they were eventually
solved.  So, unless we don't want people with Fedora to run KDE, we need to
address them.

2.	People are trying to install the Fedora RPMs on RedHat-9 and it doesn't
work.  This appears to be an incompatibility problem.  Until recently, I
didn't know why this would be a problem but now I do.  The solution is for
people to not use the Fedora RPMs on RedHat-9.  But, the problem is that
when they go to the KDE website, it sort of implies that that is what they
should do. :-(

Perhaps it is more obvious to me as an engineer that has been in business
and believes in the "teachings" of Tom Peters.  The problem is that we have
unhappy customers.  I realize that some developers do not look on the lowly
users as customers -- I have even seen an arrogant 'users be damned'
attitude from some of them.  But that isn't the proper attitude to take in
this case.  If we want the KDE project to be successful we need to see the
users as customers and we must consider that if we have unhappy users that
we have a problem.

Note: if you don't know who Tom Peters is, you should!

--
JRT