List:       kde-devel
Subject:    More than one version of autoconf required to compile KDE CVS HEAD?
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <ulrick2 () faith4miracle ! org>
Date:       2004-04-26 21:55:38

Hello, Everyone :)
I can reproduce the actual error message if you want me to, but I
discovered, through exhaustive testing :), that I can only compile the
following modules from the current CVS HEAD of KDE while using autoconf
2.57:
kdearts
kdelibs
kdebase
kdebindings
kdeutils
kdeartwork
kdegraphics
kdeaddons

If I attempt to run "make -f Makefile.cvs" on the above modules while
running "autoconf 2.59", "make -f Makefile.cvs" will not complete.  But
if I install "autoconf 2.57", everything compiles quite nicely.

The following modules WILL compile if I am running "autoconf 2.59", but
will not compile if I am running "autoconf 2.57":
kdeadmin
kdemultimedia
kdenetwork
kdesdk
kdeedu
kdegames
kdetoys
koffice
kdeextragear-1
kdenonbeta
kdepim
kdewebdev

Even though the last module that I compile and install is kdeaddons, I
do take the time to downgrade my autoconf RPM appropriately.  Also, the
way I toggle back and forth between two version of autoconf is that I
have two aliases that run the appropriate "rpm" command on the correct
file :)  A
little crude perhaps, but it works :)

Our system is Fedora Core 1, full installation (not an upgrade), every
package installed (about 1400 RPM's)  I also have all the official
updates installed, including the most recent Fedora Core 1 kernel
update. Our version of QT is qt-x11-free-3.3.1  We are also running KDE
from CVS
HEAD.
This is a fresh installation of KDE, in a completely different path
than our default KDE (3.2.2, RPM's from ftp.kde.org)  Our QT is also a
completlely different path.  I have the appropriate "export" commands in
my "~/.bash_profile" script.

Other than the above mentioned issue with autoconf, KDE from CVS HEAD is
working great :)

If there is anything I can do to help with this problem, let me know.

After I get home later, I'll reproduce the error I get when I run the
wrong "autoconf" on the wrong module. In closing, I think I made this
clear, but I want to make sure: I did try using "autoconf 2.57" to
compile all the modules, but that will not work.  I can only use one or
the other on any particular module.

One more thing: the most recent message I could find on this subject is
from November of 2003 :)  That gentleman did not appear to get an
answer.  I saw no other evidence in the kde-devel or kde-user archives
relating to this.  I also saw nothing on the KDE bugs news group.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help :) Have a Great Night :)
Steven P. Ulrick