List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: network communication using DCOP
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-03-20 13:59:21

What I forgot... "do we even want such an addition to DCOP?"

* <insert your opinion here>

My thoughts are:

I'm working on a distributed application, currently built on Qt only. But
seeing all those benefits from a KDE library (and dcop as a candidate for
IPC) I'm also thinking of extending our base to KDE as well (at least DCOP if
I find it usable). The application will consist of many many independent
processes that do "something". And thus communication between these processes
should be as seamlessly and fast as possible. Also a considerable amount of
data *might* pass through this communication mechanism. And after all the
application should be able to work distributed across a network, preferably
the internet itself (we still have to see if data throughput requirements are
ok for the internet).

So we need a well designed and easy to use IPC system - DCOP, as far as I know
it yet, is quite good in this respect except that it lacks inter host
communication.

I *think* currently a desktop environment is located on one host in most
cases, but in years to come you probably have a laptop with you and a PC (or
whatever) at home/work and want to seamlessly interoperate with all
appications running. If then DCOP already features such required
communication mechanisms then it would be good (and faster to provide such a
modell).

Regards,
Raphael