List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Sneaking in another KonqDirPart
From:       Michael Schuerig <michael () schuerig ! de>
Date:       2004-03-12 0:30:34

Konqueror currently embeds KFind as a KonqDirPart. I'd like to have
something similar for the full-text indexer swish++, so I looked into
how it's done in KFind. I think I understand the code itself. What
gives me a headache is the integration with Konqueror. I don't quite
understand the desktop files. So I just gave it a shot in the hope of
being lucky. Well, of course I wasn't, thus I looked into the Konqueror
source (specifically konq_mainwindow.cc) and got the impression that
what I intend to do is not even possible as there doesn't seem to be a
generic mechanism and the integration with KFindPart is explicitly
coded.

I'm not sold on writing a KonqDirPart. I already have a kio-slave for
swish++ that's of little use. Also, I considered a sidebar plugin and,
of course, adding a swish++ front-end to KFind. I discarded the latter,
since KFind is already pretty unwieldy for quick searches and adding
more stuff would make the UI even more complicated and slow to use.

Any suggestions?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig               Most people would rather die than think.
mailto:michael@schuerig.de                            In fact, they do.