List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Is there a Konqueror mimetype drop handler?
From:       James Marsh <james () snoopy ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-03-03 12:18:42

* James Marsh <james@snoopy.freeserve.co.uk> [26-Feb-2004 02:38]:

* Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> [03-Mar-2004 01:38]:
> i think what you want are .desktop files... for instance, for your
> "Destination Host" files, something like this should work (or some
> variation, i'm not testing this ;) :
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Comment=Globus Destination Host
> Name=Globus: somehost.com
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Exec=globus --host=somehost.com
> Icon=globus
>
> for the graphical viewer/editor you just need to add a Mimetype=
> entry with the proper "mimetype" in your app's .desktop file and then
> add a mimetype .desktop file to the share/mimelnk/ hierarchy ...

Thanks, Aaron.

That's a nice solution if the "destination" icons only need work on
KDE; unfortunately I'd like to be able to freely pass them between the
KDE and Windows version of the software. How would I associate my
"destination host editor" with this desktop file (so that the user can
easily change the "--host=somehost.com" bit and test that the host is
actually reachable etc)? I suppose I could pop up the editor if there
are no arguments passed, but I wouldn't know which .desktop file to
then change.

What I'd really like is for an arbitrary filetype to have some
executable associated with dropping icons on it. I've been looking
through the sourcecode for Konqueror and was wondering about whether
to create a patch for kdebase-3.2.0/libkonq/konq_operations.cc which
adds a "X-KDE-DropExec" entry that describes what to execute when an
icon is dropped on a file. This could be useful, say, for adding files
to an archive without directly opening it:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
MimeType=application/x-gzip;application/x-lha;application/x-tar; [...]
GenericName=Archiving Tool
Name=Ark
Exec=ark -caption "%c" %i %m %U
Icon=ark
DocPath=ark/index.html
Type=Application
Terminal=0
BinaryPattern=ark;
X-DCOP-ServiceType=Unique
Categories=Qt;KDE;Utility
X-KDE-DropExec=ark -caption "%c" %i %m --add-to %d %U
X-KDE-DropConfirm="Add files to archive"

This would need a %d placeholder adding in order to specify the
destination that was dropped upon.

What do you think?

James