List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kpdf maintainership
From:       Christophe Devriese <oelewapperke () ulyssis ! org>
Date:       2004-02-28 20:52:04

I must admit I have put little time into kpdf recently, certainly less than it
deserved. There are a number of bugs and a number of unimplemented options
(searching in pdfs) that aren't even all that far from completion. I've been
too busy (and too lazy too).

As this situation is not very reasonable, I'd like to see someone take over
maintainership of kpdf. It can be a lot better than kghostview (although it
looks teriffic on kde3.2, very nice work guys), but parts (a lot of parts) of
the pdf spec just cannot be implemented by ghostview (ever, e.g. pdf forms),
and it seem to keep having problems with landscape pdfs.

A lot of work has gone into kpdf, making xpdf const-compatible (the C++ const
construct has been added in a lot of places in the xpdf source), upgrading to
kde 3 (and 3.1 and 3.2), printing support, various ui upgrades, fixing a
number of bugs like image orientation (that I still haven't got exactly
right, although it only misses in rare cases).

A number of people have helped a great deal with the program. A lot of thanks
go to all of them.

I'm hoping the program doesn't go to waste. Take a look at it if you're
interested, I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have.

greetings,

Oelewapperke