List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Commerical KDE applications
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-02-07 22:31:43

On Thursday 29 January 2004 06:43, Benjamin Reed wrote:
> Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Qt is tripple licensed and apart from being licensed under the GPL it is
> > also licensed under the QPL. The QPL allows for non-GPL open source
> > licensed programs under certain conditions. See the QPL for details.
> > http://www.trolltech.com/licenses/qpl-annotated.html
>
> Qt/X11 is triple-licensed, that is.  =)
>
> The mac port of KDE is only releasable under the GPL because Qt/Mac is
> only available with a for-pay proprietary license or the GPL.  That's
> fine by me, as I only plan on using it in a GPL context anyways, but it
> does put some caveats on the "you can use it in other contexts"
> discussion...

All KDE-licenses are GPL-compatible, so you don't need to change the licenses
for about 99% of KDE. There are only very little parts where the QPL is still
used. You shouldn't touch any compatible KDE-licenses, this would be a major
drawback for KDE as a platform, since companies developing proprietary KDE
apps cannot use KDE libs then. I think, you aren't even allowed, since only
the authors are.

BTW, Qt/Mac is duo-licensed - GPL and Qt Commercial License.

Greetings,
eva