List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kmix and shortcut keys
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2004-02-02 20:44:34

On Sunday 01 of February 2004 10:57, Éric Brunet wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 12:29:12AM +0000, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > What would you rather the volume keys did?  Changeing the volume seems
> > like the perfect task :)
> >
> > It might be nicer is there was a lighter weight way to change the
> > volume than loading kmix.
>
> kmix_applet is this lighter weight way.
>
> > Suggestions for a good configuration interface to KMilo are welcome,
>
> I don't know what could be a good interface. But if the job of KMilo is to
> catch keystrokes and react to them, then I think that before taking any
> action, it should check that the key stroke has not been explicitely
> defined as a shortcut for another application. Only if the key stroke is
> not assigned should the default action be taken.

 It cannot do that. It simply uses KGlobalAccel, which works by establishing a
grab on the keys (i.e. nobody else gets the key event). When you configure
the keys in KMix(Applet) as well, it's started after KMilo, and fails to get
the grabs - and KMilo doesn't find out KMix wants them too.

 IMHO the right solution would be to drop the KMilo KGlobalAccel-based plugin
for the multimedia keys and set up default actions in KMix and KMixApplet,
which is where they belong (and won't cause such strange effects like KMix
suddenly started).

 For keyboards which need KMilo's special support for the keys, I think KMilo
could act as a proxy for them - it e.g. detects the volume up key being
pressed/released, and uses XTest to simulate XF86VolumeUp keypress/keyrelease
(which in turn activates KMix).

 Would there be any problem with that?

--
Lubos Lunak