List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: Supporting QA Team (was QA Team [JRT] )
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2004-01-30 14:14:09

Hi Alex,

Please don't top-post. And please trim 12k of quoted text if you're not
really referring to it. That helps keep the discussion clear, saves
bandwidth, and is generally considered polite. Well, in some places. Now,
on to the positive stuff:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, [iso-8859-1] Alexander Schunk wrote:
> i recently followed your discussion and would like to help you with your
> QA Team. I do not know who is responsible for this so if someone could
> redirect this message to the one responsible that would be great.

In a large collaborative effort such as KDE - a large _volunteer_ effort,
too - there's often noone "responsible" for a particular thing. After all,
volunteer developers are beholden to none but themselves [1]: I feel
responsible for my applications and bugs, but it's not like Coolo can call
me into his office and fire me. It's not like shareholders can have my
head on a silver platter - or tupperware dish in times of economic
downturn.

The person currently heading - in the sense that he seems to be puitting
the most effort into it right now - the Quality Team initiative, is Carlos
Woelzer. He reads this list, so he'll probably contact you separately.

http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=Quality+Team+KDE+PIM

There's a URL for starting with - about the PIM QA stuff. You can find
more links from there.

[ade]

[1] Personally, I don't think that "I will only do what is fun" will cut
it for KDE developers anymore. Developing software in a professional
manner (not in the paid sense, but with a sense of responsibility,
quality, and service) sometimes means doing what is needed, not just what
is fun. I see a few developers doing what is needed - like I can't imagine
that maintaining scripty is more fun than a barrel of monkeys, but Coolo
_does_ it, because it is needed - but not everyone. We cannot demand it
though. We might expect it. We can certainly encourage it.

--
 Adriaan de Groot    adridg@cs.kun.nl     Kamer A6020     024-3652272
GPG Key Fingerprint 934E 31AA 80A7 723F 54F9  50ED 76AC EE01 FEA2 A3FE