List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QA Team [JRT]
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-01-30 2:58:37

Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Thursday 29 January 2004 06:12 pm, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Chris Howells wrote:

>>>Similarly, those that aren't coders need to get a clue about how the
>>>coders work.
>>
>>Unfortunately, I am getting (more than just) a clue about how some coders
>>work.  And, it is no longer adequate for a project which has become as
>>large as KDE.
>>

>>>Posting airy fairy suggestions is all good and lovely, but does it
>>>actually help anybody? No.
>>
>>What is "airy fairy" about reporting regressions in common things which I
>>do every day with KFM?
>>
>>I am talking about QA.  I am not talking about WishList suggestions.
>>
>>To make this very clear, Bug 73379 is a regression.  I worked perfectly in
>>KDE-3.1.5.  As of yesterday's CVS it still isn't totally fixed.
>>

> There are plenty of regressions in KHTML that aren't getting fixed, what's
> your point?

My point is that I don't understand his point.  Or, rather that he doesn't
have a valid point.

If there are plenty of regressions in KHTML, then the release should be
delayed till they are fixed.  A new release should not have new bugs in old
features.  Bugs in new features appear to be an unavoidable fact of
software development.

If we put out a release that has a lot of nice new features, users will
probably like that.  But, it it also has a lot of new bug compared to 3.1.5
they they may go back.  The 3_2_BRANCH from yesterday has bugs that if they
are not fixed, I will go back to 3.1.5.

--
JRT