List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QA Team [JRT]
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-01-29 23:37:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Chris Howells wrote:
>On Thursday 29 January 2004 20:13, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> In any case, the coders need to realize that it is the job of the QA
>> team
>
>Similarly, those that aren't coders need to get a clue about how the
> coders work. Posting airy fairy suggestions is all good and lovely,
> but does it actually help anybody? No.

I might add that, given the number of bug reports open for an
application like Konqueror, it's extremely necessary that the poster
makes himself understood -- or the bug will silently go out of coders'
minds and be forgotten.

As for the specific bug you mentioned, since you quoted a text from me,
I am explaining myself: you said that dragging a file from one panel to
another when the file existed caused a "file exists" dialog to show up.
And while I agreed that it was suboptimal, as far as I understood the
first time, it was the correct behaviour.

It wasn't until later that you clarified that the name shown in the
dialog was that of the target directory, not of the filename. And that
it also happens with any file dragging -- not only between panels that,
as I mentioned, most users don't ever use.

Hence the importance of being clear the first time, to catch the
developers' attention to the bug and its severity.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom (AT) mail (dot) com