List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Cyrillic hotkeys no workie :(
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-01-28 23:13:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Adriaan de Groot wrote:
>Well, just to throw something into the mix: for kxkb, ctrl-alt-K is
> supposed to switch groups. So I can ctrl-alt-K from US to NL to RUS
> .. and since it's cyrillic now, ctrl-alt-k doesn't work anymore. Nor
> does ctrl-alt-к. I need to click on the kxkb icon to get out of RUS
> back into US.

That's XFree86's fault, not KDE. When you're in RU, the K key no longer
generates K, but Л. So you aren't hitting Ctrl+Alt+K, but Ctrl+Alt+Л.
See the difference?

A solution is to use a second layer of latin keys, like this:
setxkbmap ru,us

This should restore the XFree86's 4.2 (and maybe 4.3) behaviour.

Again, the new keyboard maps are to blame, not KDE nor kxkb.

So, this leads me to the original message:
>        Serbian cyrillic translaton for eg. menu entry "&File" is
"&Фајл" but we
>cannot access this via keyboard. Pressing Alt+Ф (Ф is cyrillic letter
F) does
>not work, however in Gnome and GTK apps, everything works fine.
~/.profile
>for KDE and Gnome is the same one.

This probably means that the poster has the second layer set up, so his
keyboard is generating Alt+F instead of Alt+Ф.

I don't know how to solve this.
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom (AT) mail (dot) com