List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE vs GNOME (Cameron Zemek)
From:       Alexander Neundorf <neundorf () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-01-28 18:32:25

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 17:58, kde-devel-request@mail.kde.org wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:05:30 +1000
> From: Cameron Zemek <grom_3@optusnet.com.au>
> Subject: KDE vs GNOME
> To: kde-devel@kde.org
>
> From a development point of view what are the advantages and
> disadvantages of GNOME and KDE?
>
> What are the features and functionality of the GNOME/GTK and KDE/QT
> api?
>
> What reasons are there to choose KDE/QT development environment over
> GNOME/GTK?

Qt is a C++ toolkit and has the best documentation I have ever seen. Qt is
quite simple to learn and has a more concise syntax than GTK. Qt apps are
portable between any unix, mac osx and windows.
KDE features high-level reusable components and services:  a html part, an
advanced editor part, network transparency for file accesses, e.g. http, ftp,
ssh, simple interprocess communication via dcop and much more.

Can't say much about Gtk.

> Why do Redhat use GNOME as their default? Likewise with Sun?

I guess because they can write closed-source software without becoming
dependant an the supplier of the GUI lib. IOW for closed source software you
have to buy stuff from trolltech.

Bye
Alex
--