List:       kde-devel
Subject:    running two different versions of kde
From:       "Luiz Eduardo Guida Valmont" <luizgv () nce ! ufrj ! br>
Date:       2004-01-28 0:03:55

[Attachment #2 (unknown)]

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=Windows-1252">
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 6.0.6249.1">
<TITLE>running two different versions of kde</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=2>i have been wondering whether or not i could keep kde 3.1.5 and \
kdecvs on the same machine; while i have come with a simple answer which is basically \
the that's described at <A \
HREF="http://developer.kde.org/build/build2ver.html">http://developer.kde.org/build/build2ver.html</A>, \
i have an extra command you could issue in order to avoid one version trying to load \
the other's libs;<BR> <BR>
i have once tryied building a linux from scratch and, from the lfs book, i quote this \
(it will become clearer): &quot;Notice that /tools/bin comes last in the PATH. This \
means that a temporary tool will not be used any more as soon as its final version is \
installed. Well, at least when the shell doesn't remember the locations of executed \
binaries -- for this reason hashing is switched off a bit further on.&quot;<BR> <BR>
this is the command: &quot;exec /tools/bin/bash --login +h&quot;<BR>
<BR>
&quot;Note the use of the +h directive. This tells bash not to use its internal path \
hashing. Without this directive, bash would remember the paths to binaries it has \
executed. Since we want to use our newly compiled binaries as soon as they are \
installed, we turn off this function for the duration of this chapter.&quot;<BR> <BR>
well, this is it; with this command (and $KDEDIR/bin from the cvs before the $PATH - \
like &quot;%KDEDIR/bin:$PATH&quot;) then you won't run the risk of issuing kate while \
in the cvs session and end up running the stable kate...<BR> <BR>
hope this helps,<BR>
Luiz Eduardo Guida Valmont</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>