List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] problem editing menus
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-01-27 4:06:30

Luca Ferrari wrote:

> I've got some problem when I try to edit the KDE main menu. When I enter in
> the menu editor I can see some submenus and entries which are not visible in
> the K menu when I use it.

I don't know about entries.  However, empty submenus will appear in the
editor but will not be displayed in the KMenu.

> Furthermore, if I try to modify the menu as root,  other users do not see changes.

As it is currently set up, modifying the menu as root only changes the menu
for the 'root' account.  AFAIK, there currently isn't any way to directly
use the Menu Editor to edit the global KMenu.

If you are using KDE 3.1.x, you need to copy your changes from:
/root/.kde/ahare/applnk/<whatever>/ to: $KDEDIR/share/applnk/<whatever>/.
It is possible that opening a Konsole and setting: KDEHOME=$KDEDIR; export
KDEHOME and then running: "kmenuedit" will properly modify the global KMenu.

If you are using KDE 3.2, the menu system has changed and AFAIK, the only
way to modify the global KMenu is to do it by hand. :-(  How to do this
depends on what changes you want to make.

--
JRT