List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: [Dlc-discuss] Inhibitors to the desktop
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-01-17 16:43:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 17 January 2004 16:47, Erik K. Pedersen wrote:
> Lørdag 17 januar 2004 09:12   skrev Troels Tolstrup:
> > Nothing stops them from doing this even if they are part of the main
> > modules does it?
>
> Except translations are handled differently in the main modules and
> extragear. In extragear the program comes with translations to all
> languages included, in the main modules translations are in a separate
> module which means if you make extra releases they have to be English only.

Good point!

Aditionally you get into problems with version names.
See the discussion about the additional KDE PIM release.

I'd say if an application is important its author should be invited to
maintain it in KDE's CVS.
If it does not need more release than KDE, a KDE module is fine.
If it needs more release, put it in kde-extra-gear.

In the second case the packagers need to know which version of the application
is considered good for the KDE release.
Assuming that the following is compatible to the way KDE releases are handled,
I suggest that KDE extra gear maintainers set the KDE release tag on their
modules to the version of their lastest release (or to a version they think
works best ith current KDE)

Lets for example assume that K3B's latest release was version 1.0
KDE gets tagged for 3.2 with KDE_3_2_release
The K3B maintainer wants V1.0 released with KDE3.2, so he tags K3B version 1.0
with KDE_3_2_release.
Actually he can set/move next KDE release's tag whenever he release a version
until KDE itself is tagged with it.
So if KDE is delayed and K3B is having a new release in the meantime, the K3B
maintainer can move the tag to his new release.

I hope I did make at least some sense :)

Cheers,
Kevin