List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Thumbnail generation vs direct from file
From:       ramagnus () t-online ! de (Rolf Magnus)
Date:       2004-01-15 16:13:37

On Thursday 15 January 2004 12:38, Brad Hards wrote:
> I'm looking at bug:58170, which is a wishlist for EXR support in Konqi.
>
> I'm planning on providing that through kimgio, which isn't yet working. But
> I'm going to be visiting my parents (a _long_ way from any IP
> connectivity), and I'm hoping to get it going in that time.
>
> One of the issues about EXR is that the files may contain thumbnails. I am
> working on the assumption that when I select Icon View in Konqi that the
> icons are generated by rendering the actual image and then subsampling the
> image to thumbnails (with appropriate caching to make it perform OK).
>
> Is there any way to provide the thumbnails directly (without some crude
> hack like directly poking them into the cache)? If so, can someone provide
> me a hint?

You could write a KFileMetaInfo plugin, which can be used to read (among other
things) thumbnails from the files. Konqueror will then use those if not
switched off (there is an option in kcontrol in the file manager module for
it). This is already done for jpeg files with exif thumbnails, like you get
them from digital cameras, so you might wanna take a look into the
kfile-plugin for this in kdegraphics.