List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Strange error in KUniqueApplication
From:       Willi Richert <w.richert () gmx ! net> (by way of Willi Richert
Date:       2004-01-14 21:24:57

Hi,

I'm running KDE 3.1.94 on SuSE 9.0.

After installing amaroK (latest version) correctly, it always crashed, when
executed, showing only the following trace:

[New Thread 16384 (LWP 18477)]
0x41f9dfd6 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#0  0x41f9dfd6 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#1  0x41434ba2 in KCrash::defaultCrashHandler(int) (sig=11) at kcrash.cpp:246
#2  0x41f9cbb1 in __pthread_sighandler () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#3  <signal handler called>

When opening the sources using kdevelop and  debugging through it, it stopped
somewhere in KUniqueApplication invoked when initialising PlayerApp:
===> PlayerApp::PlayerApp() : KUniqueApplication( true, true, false ), ...

When I go step by step, kuniqueapplication.cpp (line 302) opens, which is
greyed out. Why?

After that it goes on step by step:
====> KInstance* KUniqueApplication::initHack( bool configUnique )
=====>bool KUniqueApplication::start()
Here after some lines of code it jumps from line 125
switch(fork_result): ...
into a part of a file, which is actually in an
#if 0 - Block. So it shouldn't be executed anyway.

Here it exits in the block
int n = ::read(fd[0], &result, 1);
       if (n == 1) break;
       if (n == 0)
       {
          kdError() << "KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly." <<
endl;

          ::exit(255);

       }

Kdevelop shows in the GDB window:
Program exited with code 0377.

What is wrong with my KDE setup? Why is the backtrace not shown as I see it
using gdb?

I hope kde-core-devel is the proper list for this problem. Is this my setup
problem or a bug in KDE?

Thanks,
wr